Tuesday, April 8, 2014

18. Analytic Memos



My subject happened to be a Communications major, and although English is not the only major to use summaries as a curriculum, they may not use it as much as we do for work.  But as C, my subject, had expressed that she felt that she used the process of a summary more when she was a Freshman and Sophomore as opposed to her Junior and Senior year.  This part of the transcript stuck out the most to me when I was transcribing it,

S:  Yeah… so do you understand what a professor is expecting from you when they ask you for a summary?

C:  Uh, yes, I mean I feel like we have learned that so young and it has been embedded in our minds since we were in preschool and just the basic so I feel like now in college it’s almost second nature to ya know to pick a summary, to outline a summary or to do a summary.

Although it should be second nature to us at this point and time in our lives, it isn't and a lot of people are unaware of what a professor is expecting from us in a summary because we automatically assume to do a recap of what the piece is about.  So I think when interviewing my next two subjects I will ask them how they feel about this statement and how they think it can be fixed among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment