Monday, March 24, 2014

13. Analyze the Story

In this section of my transcript, my subject and I are discussing summaries and what professors are expecting out of them...

S:  Yeah… so do you understand what a professor is expecting from you when they ask you for a summary?

C:  Uh, yes, I mean I feel like we have learned that so young and it has been embedded in our minds since we were in preschool and just the basic so I feel like now in college it’s almost second nature to ya know to pick a summary, to outline a summary or to do a summary.

And as we continue on I explain to her that a there are different types of summaries, interpretation style for one, and although she understood what interpretation meant she did not think of it as a summary.  I think this section stood out the most to me because she is right about explaining how we all feel like a summary is common knowledge and should be "embedded into our minds" so that we are aware of how to do one and how a professor will want us to be able to give them what they want.  And if you don't know what you're doing, you feel inadequate to do good in a course instead of asking a professor what it is they would like for you to do.  It is important, not just for college students, but for everyone if you are unsure if you are doing something correctly you really should ask for help.  Just because things should be like second nature to us, doesn't mean you shouldn't ask the professor if what they want could possibly be a plot summary or a interpretation summary.  


No comments:

Post a Comment